Please join us for the 2018 SFPE Greater Atlanta Fire Safety Conference, March 13-14, 2018. We have a stellar program lined up with lots of opportunities for professional development, business exposure and networking. This year’s program is below. Additional information on each session including available information on each presenter is included as links from the program grid. If you are interested in one of the numerous exhibitor or sponsor opportunities, please visit our Sponsors and Exhibitors page. For attendee registration, please visit our Conference Attendee Page.
Hampton Inn Rate $149 6010 Sugarloaf Parkway Lawrenceville, GA 30043 Phone: 678-407-0018 Group Name: Society of Fire Protection Engineers Greater Atlanta Chapter
Holiday Inn Rate $112 6310 Sugarloaf Parkway Duluth, GA 30097 Phone: 888-269-9585 Group Code: SFPE Or click on the following link: SFPE
Embassy Suites Rate $125 for single $135 for double 2029 Satellite Blvd. Duluth, GA 30097 Phone: 770-622-6391 Group Code: SFPE
Hilton Garden Inn Rate $115 2040 Sugarloaf Ct. Duluth, GA 30097 Phone: 770-495-7600 Group Code: SFPE
Lineup of Seminars and Class Sessions for 2018 TO BE UPDATED DECEMBER 31, 2018:
Tuesday Seminars (See Below for NICET Prep Classes) March 13
Performance-Based Design for Life Safety
– Jim Milke, PhD, P.E. – Professor and Department Chair, University of Maryland, Department of Fire Protection Engineering
Dust Explosions 101
– John Cholin, P.E., FSFPE. M.E.E. – Principal J.M Cholin Consultants, Inc.
Uncovering What is Often Overlooked, Misinterpreted or Just Plain Wrong in Acceptance Testing: Sprinkler, Alarm & Special Hazards Acceptance Testing Workshop
*Includes Live Demonstrations – Hosted at Century Fire Protection LLC – 2450 Meadowbrook Pkwy. Duluth, GA 30096
– David Walker – Service Operations Manager, Century Fire, Ed Cone – Sales Manager, Century Fire & Steven Hutton – Chief Estimator, Century Fire
Fire Protection Systems Technology Symposium
– Multiple Speakers Covering Suppression, Detection, and Special Hazard Topics
NICET Preparation Course A – Inspection and Testing of Water Based Systems
NICET Level I & II
Certification Prep: Water-Based Fire Protection Systems Inspection and Testing
NICET Preparation Course B – Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems
NICET Level I & II
Certification Prep: Fire Alarm Inspection and Testing
Wednesday Sessions – March 14
Imperial Sugar Refinery – What Happened and Why?
– John Cholin, P.E., FSFPE, M.E.E. – Principal, J.M. Cholin Consultants, Inc.
Obstructions and ESFR Sprinklers – Latest Research Updates
– Garner Palenske, P.E. – Vice President, Jensen Hughes – San Diego Office
The Impact of Make-Up Air Velocities on Atrium Smoke Control
– Jim Milke, PhD, PE. – Professor and Department Chair, University of Maryland – Dept. of Fire Protection Engineering
123 Years of Fire Sprinkler Standards: What to Expect in the Next NFPA 13
– Bob Upson, MSFPE – Manager of Engineering Services, NFSA
Motion Picture and Television Film Challenges: An AHJ Perspective
– Chief Richard Brandt – Deputy Chief/Fire Marshal, Long Beach Fire Department
Protection of Mini-Load ASRS Arrangements Containing Open-Top Plastic Containers
– Weston C. Baker, Jr. – AVP/Engineering Technical Specialist, Engineering Standards Group, FM Global Research
Commercial Kitchen Suppression Systems: System Failures and Causes
– Stephen M. Hill, P.E. – Senior Fire Protection Engineer, Jensen Hughes
Fire Codes and the Fires That Changed Them
– Robert Duval – New England Regional Director/Senior Fire Investigator, NFPA
Understanding the Significance of Aircraft Hangar Fire Protection Water Supply Demands
– Thomas W. Gardner, P.E., FSFPE, LEED AP – Team Leader, Fire Protection, GHD & Andrew M. Wahl, P.E. – Senior Fire Protection Engineer, GHD
Commodity Classification Reserach and Potential Changes to 2016 NFPA 13
– Angele Morcos – Account Manager, FM Global – Chicago Operations
Tall Wood Buildings: Status Report
– Carl F. Baldassarra, P.E., FSFPE – Principal/Unit Manager, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Energy Storage Systems and the Development of the New Standard NFPA 855
– Brian O’Connor – Associate Engineer, NFPA
455 Biltmore Ave. Impact of Fire Barrier Maintenance on FD Operations (Case Study)
– Daniel Arnold, P.E., FSFPE – Partner, Seneca Fire Engineering, LLC & Craig Hofmeister, P.E., FSFPE – Partner, The Fire Consultants, Inc.
Lessons Learned from 20 Years of Full-Scale Fire Testing
– Kerry Bell, P.E. – Principal Engineer, UL, LLC
Mismanagement of Risk in Mission Critical Fire Protection
– David Quirk, P.E., LEED AP, CEM – Vice President & Principal, DLB Associates
Best Practices and Pitfalls of Acceptance and Integrated Testing
– Samuel M. Beale, III, P.E., FSFPE – Managing Partner/Chief Engineer, S.M. Beale & Associates & Doug Fisher, P.E., FSFPE – Principal Fire Protection Engineer, Fisher Engineering, Inc.